Friday, September 4, 2009

Per a reader's request


I have to say that I probably get the most questions about mascara. A huge population of women wear it. And it seems like most of those women are constantly looking for a better mascara. ;) So, I am dedicating today's blog post to all the different types of looks that you'd want from your mascara. I am going to give you an "haute couture" recommendation and a "bargain basement" recommendation for each.


Lengthening


For unbelievable long, spidery lashes, this stuff is great!! It also really stays on all day and slides off when you rinse with warm water. It can weigh curled eyelashes down, so you have to make sure that your coats are light.



It's award winning and the cool shaped brush really helps get EVERY lash.



Volumizing


This is the stuff that makeup artists go coo coo nuts for! It is unreal and your lashes look AMAZING. Deep, dark black color and a great brush make for some high drama and giant lashes.



Fantastic rubber brush and smooth texture make for big ol' fat eyelashes.


Natural/Soft


Now, I know the price of this stuff is not in the "haute couture" price range, but Tarte is a higher end product. This stuff tints your lashes and just makes it look like you have naturally dark lashes without adding too much.



Same idea as above. It's more of a tint than an actual mascara.


Waterproof


This stuff stays on ALL DAY and is clump free!! This is one of my favorites.



This is just about as perfect as waterproof mascara gets. It's affordable, it's got a great texture, the bristles on the brush distribute color evenly and it stays on ALL DAY. (Yes, this is my go to mascara.)


All Purpose


This stuff lengthens, fattens, lifts. It's great and will make your eyes look unreal!


Bargain Basement: Cover Girl's Lash Exact Mascara: http://www.covergirl.com/products/product.jsp?productId=lashexact_mascara

I don't think I've heard a bad thing about this product. It's so multi-purpose and can really make the eyes just look beautiful.


So, enough suggestions for you? Are y'all inspired to try something new??

3 comments:

  1. I am digging the Clinique mascara you just gave me and I am headed today to get some new pads for my lash curler. I might look at Sephora when we go to Atlanta later in the month for something a little different, though, so these listed above give me a good selection to look for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, as always. However...how does one apply mascara (even after wiping off most of it from the wand) without getting it all over your eyelid and screwing up liner and/or shadow? Is there some trick to this that I never caught?

    Thank you! --shan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shan- first, I learned (the hard way) to do my eyeliner and mascara first. THEN, I do my eyeshadow. Always keep Q-Tips on hand to wipe off smudges on your eyelids (I'm bad to do this, too!). Neutrogena makes a "corrector pencil" that basically can be used to remove any mistakes that have dried on your lids. The last trick I would try that I have been doing recently is that instead of putting my mascara on straight up and down (which makes me tend to push backwards, thus getting it all over my lids) is that I move the wand upwards and at an angle at the same time. Like this "/" to get my outer lashes on the right eye and like "\" to get the inner lashes on my right eye and vice versa. I have noticed that for me, it makes a difference and I think I actually deposits more mascara on my lashes.

    If all else fails, I actually saw a tip in a magazine once where a makeup artist said she puts a business card on her client's eyelids before she puts their mascara on. That way, it all goes on there instead of their eyelid!

    ReplyDelete