Monday, August 3, 2009

And your word for the day is...

..."emollients." I'm sure we all know what that is. It's the stuff in moisturizers that actually moisturize your hair, skin, etc. Now, today, I'm going to specifically be talking about stuff for dry/treated hair. First, take a look at your shampoo. Is it clear? Close to clear? Can you read something through it? Yeah, that's not moisturizing. You want a shampoo that LOOKS creamy. The clearer your shampoo, the more detergents (i.e. foaming agents) there are in it and the more likely it is to strip your hair than protect or nourish it.

Also, your conditioner- is it runny? Thin? Or is it pretty sturdy? And by that, I mean if you squirt some in your hand and turn it over, is it going to stick? There's no use getting a special moisturizing shampoo and then getting a conditioner that's essentially water and isn't going to help seal in any emollients.

So, if your goal is to help end frayed ends or add shine or protect your color, then you need to look for shampoo that is not only labelled "moisturizing", but that is creamy in appearance as well. Make sure your conditioner is equally as dense in appearance if not more so. Honestly, I really like the new L'Oreal Everpure line. I know it says that it's for colored hair, but anyone who needs a little moisture would definitely benefit. They have several different types (for volume, smoothness, extra moisture) and all are very reasonably priced and work wonders! Give them a try! See what you think!

1 comment:

  1. And we all know since the blue hair fiasco that I need more moisture!! I think I will give them a try the next time I run out.

    ReplyDelete