Saturday, August 1, 2009

Playing it safe

So, I am headed to the beach for a week. And let me tell you, I am ready to get there! However, as much as I LOVE being outside and walking in the sand and all that, I am absolutely, positively going to protect myself. Sunscreen, baby. Now, I am one of those very lucky people that have absurdly white, pasty skin. I know, you're jealous, right? Anywho, I not only take a sunscreen for my body; I also have a separate one for my face. Oh, and PS- the smart girls know to also have one for their hair. You're one of those smart girls, aren't you? :)

First and foremost- at least an SPF of 30 for your body. And the spray ones work just as well as the lotion ones if you like their convenience. Just make sure that you really cover yourself and rub it in if you need to. Secondly- at least an SPF of 30 (although 40 or higher is better) for your face. Why a separate one? Well, since I have skin that is prone to break out, I absolutely have to have an oil free one. Plus, there are now sunscreens out there specifically made for your face that also have lovely things in them like anti-oxidants and/or anti-aging properties in them. Hellooo multi-tasking! I also use my face sunscreen on my neck and chest. The chest is actually one of the first places to get burned. Did you know that?

Finally- those smart girls I was telling you about that use a sunscreen on their hair. They have a couple of options. If you're super thrifty, you can actually mix traditional sunscreen lotion in a spray bottle with equal parts water. Shake, and spray well. Or, you can use a sunscreen created for your hair. I am currently using this one: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2203353&productId=xlsImpprod1170126&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat120012
And I really like it. I plan to spray it on as well as a leave in conditioner before I hit either the beach or the pool.

So, there you go. You wear a seat belt in a car. You lock your doors at night. How about you watch out for your skin just as much? Don't be one of those old ladies who looks like a piece of luggage...

3 comments:

  1. With the hair sunscreen (I'm not one of those smart girls)--is it only to keep dyed hair from fading, or does it protect hair in general from sun damage? My hair is not colored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good for both! The sun is damaging, even to the healthiest most undyed hair. Add in chlorine to the mix and it zaps hair even more. So, pretty much everyone could stand to use a little hair protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although we are not going to the beach, we will camping a bit over the next few months and I will need some protection. My thermal protector dries my hair out and I don't flat iron that often or really at all anymore, so these tips really help get my mind in gear for hair protection!

    ReplyDelete