Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Whew! That was a...

...CLOSE SHAVE!

We've all heard that expression. Now, unless you're one of those women who are lucky enough to just have several spare thousand dollars lying around to get laser hair removal, I'm sure shaving your legs is a pretty regular part of your life. And every time I hear some guy complaining about having to shave his face, I just want to smack him. A few square inches to shave versus a couple of square feet? Yeah, shut it.

Anywho, I digress... Let's discuss the actual shaving process. I know, I know- there are some of you out there who are die hard stand at the sink and dry shave. But you are doing yourself (and your skin) a disservice. If you can wait until about 5-10 minutes in your shower process, your leg hair will be much softer and will be removed much easier. Thus- less irritation. Also, did you know that when you shave, you are actually removing that top layer of dead skin? (That's why men look younger than women for longer. They are constantly exfoliating by shaving their faces everyday. They just have no idea.) Now, if you are just dry shaving that layer off, there's no buffer for the new skin underneath. Thus, you are more likely to create irritation again.

So, what does Beautylicious suggest? First, wait a little while in the shower as mentioned previously. Softer hair, softer skin. Second, at least use a moisturizing soap or cleanser on your legs. I think using a shave gel is the best. Two reasons for this- again, something moisturizing for that new layer of skin AND the soap/foam/gel actually helps the hair stand up so that you'll get a closer shave. And finally, your razor. One or two blade razors are so 1980's. These days, a minimum of 3 blades is imperative. Honestly, my razor has 5 blades. I stumbled upon the Venus Embrace completely by accident. I had forgotten my razor on a weekend getaway and had to borrow a friends. HO-LEE Cow! I had never, ever had a razor shave that close. I could literally tell a difference. It shaved so close, I was actually able to stretch an extra day out before I had to shave again! So, if you want to spend a little extra to get amazing results, I wholeheartedly recommend the Venus Embrace. But, as long as you have 3 blades or more, you're good.

So, let's sum up- shower, use a moisturizing cleanser/shave gel after 5 or 10 minutes, get a good lather, and shave away with your minimum 3 blade razor! And I'm sure I don't have to tell you to use a good lotion or body cream AS SOON AS YOU GET OUT OF THE SHOWER.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT, Dawn! What a fabulous idea this blog is!! I use hair conditioner in lieu of shave gel, and it works great too. It's less expensive (I use Suave on my legs), I can pick from yummy scents like coconut and lavender and it conditions and softens my skin.
    --Jessica Riley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess is absolutely right- conditioner is a wonderful option for shaving. It moisturizes and protects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D, I love the 80's reference!! Perfect. And yes Jess, I love the idea of conditioner. This blog rocks.

    ReplyDelete